Dr. Umakant Dhar Dwivedi
Ph. D. (IIT Kanpur)
Cell phone: +919696014137
Ph.D., In Electrical Engineering, from Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India. December 2008, CPI: 9.0/10
M. Tech., In Electrical Engineering with specialization in Power Electronics and Drives, from Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India. Year of completion: May 2003, CPI: 8.25/10
B. Tech., In Electrical and Electronics Engineering from R.E.C (at present, National Institute of Technology), Calicut, India. Year of completion: May 1997.
SCHOLASTIC ACHIEVEMENTS, AWARDS AND HONORS
- Recipient of Arnold F. Graves Post Doctoral Research Fellowship DIT Dublin, Ireland, 2009.
- Received (twice) Cash Award (Rs 10,000/-) for Journal at IIT Kanpur, 2009-2010.
- Secured all India 83rd rank in Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineers (GATE 2001), with a score of 98.47 (percentile).
- Scholarship by MHRD India, for pursuing M.Tech & PhD at IIT Kanpur
- Power quality (PQ) monitoring with special emphasis on development of automatic PQ event detection and classification systems
- Application of advanced digital signal processing and artificial intelligent techniques in PQ assessment and analysis, locating power system faults, and in condition monitoring of power systems equipments.
- Development of wavelet-based pulse width modulation (PWM) techniques for dc-to-ac power electronics Converters
- Renewable Energy, Distributed Generation,
- Smart Grid, Islanding detection of grid-tied photo voltaic (PV) systems, etc.
RESEARCH AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Worked as Arnold F. Graves Post Doctoral Researcher in the school of electrical engineering systems, Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland from 1, June 2009 to 31 May 2010.
- Worked as Project Scientist in the department of electrical engineering, IIT Kanpur from January 2009 to March 2009.
- Worked as a tutor for various (UG and PG level) courses and labs in the department of electrical engineering, IIT Kanpur form August 2003 to December 2008.
- Taught a fast track course (50 hours) on Power Electronics under Quality Improvement Program (Sequential M.Tech), held by U. P. Technical University, India, in June 2005.
- Worked as a Project Associate in the department of electrical engineering, IIT Kanpur form May 2003 to July 2003.
- Worked as a Teaching Associate for various UG courses and labs in the department of electrical engineering, IIT Kanpur form May 2001 to July 2003.
LECTURES DELIVERED IN SHORT TERM COURSES/WORKSHOPS
- Invited talk on, “Power Quality Disturbance Classification using Wavelet and Support Vector Machine”, under a short term course/workshop on Intelligent Systems Application to the Smart Electric Grid Solution, held by Quality Improvement Program AICT, at IIT Kanpur (November 15 - 19, 2010).
- Seminar presentation on, “ A Wavelet-based Carrier-less Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Scheme for 1-Phase Inverters”, in a seminar on Research in Electrical Power Systems held by IET Ireland, at DIT, Dublin Ireland, (24 Feb. 2010).
- Invited talks on, “Analysis of Power Quality Disturbances in Noisy and Dynamically Changing System Conditions”, under a short term course/workshop on Electric Power Quality: Monitoring, Analysis & Mitigation held by Department of Science & Technology (DST) New Delhi, at IIT Kanpur (April 7 - 11, 2008).
- Invited talk on, “Power Quality: Detection and Localizations”, under a short term course/workshop on Electric Power System Operation and Control: Modern Trends & Future Challenges held by Quality Improvement Program All India Council of Technical Education New Delhi, at IIT Kanpur (August 28 - September 1, 2006).
- Invited talk on, “Power Quality”, under a short term course/workshop on MATLAB, held by SIDBI Innovation and Incubation Centre, IIT, Kanpur July 2006.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS:
- U. D. Dwivedi, and S. N. Singh, “Enhanced Detection of Power Quality Events Using Intra and Inter-Scale Dependencies of Wavelet Coefficients”, IEEE Transactions on power delivery vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 358-366, Jan. 2010.
- U. D. Dwivedi, and S. N. Singh, “De-noising Techniques with Change-Point Approach for Wavelet-Based Power Quality Monitoring” IEEE Transactions on power delivery vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1719-1727, July 2009.
- U. D. Dwivedi, and S. N. Singh,“A Wavelet-based Denoising Technique for Improved Monitoring and Characterization of Power Quality Disturbances”, Journal of Electric Power Components & Systems, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 753-769, July 2009.
- U. D. Dwivedi, D. Shakya, and S. N. Singh,” Power Quality Monitoring and Analysis: An Overview and Key Issues," International Journal of Systems Signals, Control and Engineering Applications vol. 1, no.1, pp. 74-88, 2008.
- U. D. Dwivedi, S. N. Singh and S. C. Srivastava, “A Wavelet based Approach for Classification and Location of Faults in Distribution Systems”, Proc. 2008 IEEE Conference & Exhibition on Control, Communication and Automation (INDICON 2008), India, vol. 2 pp. 488–493, December 11-13, 2008.
- U. D. Dwivedi, S. N. Singh and S. C. Srivastava, “Analysis of Transient Disturbances in Distribution Systems: A Hybrid Approach”, 2007 IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting , Tampa, Florida , USA, 24-28 June 2007.
- U. D. Dwivedi, and S. N. Singh, “An Adaptive Window-Based Denoising Scheme to Enhance Power Quality Monitoring Systems”, Proc. The 7th IEE International Conference on Advances in Power system control, Operations and Management, Hong Kong, 31 Oct - 2 Nov, 2006.
- U. D. Dwivedi and S. N. Singh, “A Robust Energy Features Estimation for Detection and Classification of Power Quality Disturbances”, Proc. 2006 IEEE Power Engineering Society power India Conference, New Delhi, pp. 384–390, April 10-12, 2006.
- U. D. Dwivedi, and S. N. Singh, “Power Quality Assessment Using Polynomial Approximation Technique”, International Conference on Power Systems (ICPS) organized by IEEE PES Katmandu, Nepal, pp. 348-353, Nov 3-5, 2004.
- U. D. Dwivedi, and Malabika Basu, “Wavelet Based Islanding Detection of DC-AC Inverter Interfaced DG Systems”, he 45th International Universities' Power Engineering Conference 31st Aug-3rd Sept 201, Cardiff, Wales, UK. (accepted).
- D. Shakya, U. D. Dwivedi, S. N. Singh and S. C. Srivastava, “Simulation of Power Quality Problems for Analysis and Characterization”, National Conference on 'Technical Challenges in Power Systems (TCPS), KNIT Sultanpur, March 17-18, 2006.
Research Proposal & Journal Papers under review/ preparation
- U. D. Dwivedi and Malabika Basu, “A Modulation Scheme for Single Phase PWM Inverter Based on Haar Basis Function”, IEEE Power Electronics Letters (Under review).
- U. D. Dwivedi and Malabika Basu, “A Generalized Wavelet Modulation Scheme for Single Phase Inverter”, to be communicated to IET Power Electronics ((Under review).).
- U. D. Dwivedi, M. M. Hanif, Malabika Basu, and Michael Colonel “A High Performance Islanding Detection Technique for Grid-connected Photo Voltaic Systems”, to be communicated to IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid ((Under review).).
- U. D. Dwivedi and Malabika Basu, “A Wavelet and Support Vector Machine Based Power Quality Event Classification System”, to be communicated to IEEE Transactions on power delivery ((Under review).